Booting New LFS System Ends in Kernel Panic

Justin Julian d4mography at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 18:03:41 PDT 2005

Dan

If mandrake works, I would consider comparing the kernel options of
the mandrake kernel with the LFS kernel you are having trouble with.

If the kernel versions between your mandrake and LFS are different,
then try to compile the LFS kernel version on your Mandrake system.

I know that there exists a hidden .config or .configure file somewhere
in the kernel source tree that saves all of your menuconfig settings.
I wonder if it is possible to just copy the .config file from one
working kernel source tree to another questionable one.

Anyway, I would start with the Mandrake installation, then move to the LFS one.

I would also consider the bios boot order of your drives. I am running
LFS on an ABIT bp-6 dual celery mobo. The hard drives I use are on the
UDMA chains, and are given bios numbers 0x8[0,1,2,3] if you set up the
bios to boot to the UDMA chain. The point is, sometimes GRUB gets
confused. You have to explicitly indicate the bios numbers in the
grub.conf file.

Anyway, there's my whack at it. Hope I have helped.

Justin.