Booting New LFS System Ends in Kernel Panic

Jaqui Greenlees jaqui at telus.net
Sun Apr 3 23:36:49 PDT 2005

Justin Julian wrote:
> Dan
>
> If mandrake works, I would consider comparing the kernel options of
> the mandrake kernel with the LFS kernel you are having trouble with.
>
> If the kernel versions between your mandrake and LFS are different,
> then try to compile the LFS kernel version on your Mandrake system.
>
> I know that there exists a hidden .config or .configure file somewhere
> in the kernel source tree that saves all of your menuconfig settings.
> I wonder if it is possible to just copy the .config file from one
> working kernel source tree to another questionable one.
>
> Anyway, I would start with the Mandrake installation, then move to the LFS one.
>
> I would also consider the bios boot order of your drives. I am running
> LFS on an ABIT bp-6 dual celery mobo. The hard drives I use are on the
> UDMA chains, and are given bios numbers 0x8[0,1,2,3] if you set up the
> bios to boot to the UDMA chain. The point is, sometimes GRUB gets
> confused. You have to explicitly indicate the bios numbers in the
> grub.conf file.
>
> Anyway, there's my whack at it. Hope I have helped.
>
> Justin.
>

> On Apr 3, 2005 8:44 PM, Dan McGhee <farmerdan at i-rule.net> wrote:
>
>>Thanks,  Andrew.   I won't get to this stuff tonight.  I'm fried.  But
>>when someone replies to one of my posts, I want them to know that I've
>>read it and will attempt what they suggest.
>>
>>Andrew Benton wrote:
>>
>>I don't understand what an initrd does as I don't use one. I have no
>>trouble booting without one. I think distros like to use them as it
>>means they can boot to a certain point then probe for what
>>hardware/chipset your system has, load the modules it needs to support
>>that system and then continue to boot.
>>
>>I just became really clear on this today.  An initrd is an image of the
>>kernel that gets loaded in memory so that you can build a completely
>>modular kernel and pass modules to it before the "real" kernel gets
>>loaded.  As you know, you can't pass modules to the kernel until it's up
>>and running.  Initrd gets mounted as a loop back device.

>>>Device Drivers  --->
>>>ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support  --->
>>>
>>Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll look quite closely and post success or
>>the lack thereof.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Dan

mandrake uses a customised kernel.
for thier supermount system. it may not be a compatable config for thier
sources. thier system also requires mdk branded initscripts. so
compiling the lfs kernel version will create non bootable version.
( I went this route with mdk system to get support for device that newer
kernal had and ran into that issue )

Jaqui