Booting New LFS System Ends in Kernel Panic

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Mon Apr 4 10:01:13 PDT 2005

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005, Dan McGhee wrote:

> I just became really clear on this today.  An initrd is an image of the
> kernel that gets loaded in memory so that you can build a completely
> modular kernel and pass modules to it before the "real" kernel gets
> loaded.  As you know, you can't pass modules to the kernel until it's up
> and running.  Initrd gets mounted as a loop back device.

Almost.  initrd is an initial ramdisk - you only ever have the one
kernel, but this initial ramdisk can contain scripts and modules so that
a distro can use modules for everything, even for the disk-driver and
filesystem of the real root device.

 Anyway, your problem with /dev/hdb3 leads me to offer a couple of
suggestions:

did you compile in the ext3 filesystem (I think you said it was ext3),
and courtesy of udev, did you remember to compile in support for
hot-pluggable devices (CONFIG_HOTPLUG) ?

Ken