chapter 5 - binutils pass 1 - slackware 10.1

martin boehnert martinb777 at gmx.net
Mon Apr 4 10:45:10 PDT 2005

>> sorry for sending this much output but i think the error is somewhere
>> between these lines...
>> no very much platform info and the segfault at the end of the snippet...
>> <snip>
>> configure:2176: checking whether the C compiler works
>> configure:2182: ./a.out
>> /mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-2.15.91.0.2/libiberty/configure: line 2183:
>> 2043 Segmentation fault      ./$ac_file

> Yeah, that certainly doesn't look healthy :)  Do you happen to have
> 'strace' installed on your host?  If you run 'strace
> /mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-2.15.91.0.2/libiberty/configure' it may

strace says the following before quitting

--------start----------
open("config.log", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC|O_LARGEFILE, 0666) = -1
EACCES (Permission denied)
write(2, "sources/binutils-2.15.91.0.2/lib"..., 90) = 90
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [], NULL, 8) = 0
exit_group(1)                           = ?
---------end-----------

daniel davis said in lfs 6 from lfs 5 (01.04.2005):

 >1) Slack apparently has a broken libc.a and it causes the chapter 5
 >static build of glibc to fail.  It has something to do with libs being
 >stripped by the people producing Slack using a buggy copy of the strip
 >command.
 >
 >There are some workarounds to this including rebuilding the host libs
 >or compiling the chapter 5 binutils and gcc as dynamic rather than
 >static.  I'm trying to figure out the best fix right now.

> optimisation or other flags via CFLAGS?

i only did what in the book is said. so no optimisation should be done...

martin