chapter 5 - binutils pass 1 - slackware 10.1

Daniel Davis ucf.aeroengineer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 12:25:14 PDT 2005

On Apr 4, 2005 3:08 PM, martin boehnert <martinb777 at gmx.net> wrote:

> >  The -testing branch of the book has given up on static linking.
> >

> so you say i should just use the testing version of book and all is
> fine? sounds nice... but where are the disadvantages???
>
> martin

I'm not sure but one thing I did discover is that the /dev stuff at
the beginning of chap 6 in the stable book is incomplete.  To the
point where I was getting an "out of ptys" error when I tried to build
the system using the LFS  6.0 Live CD as the base.  I would definitely
use the development version of section 6.8 from now on.

Also, the broken aspect of slack and the glibc stuff I mentioned
before has to do with nptl.  If you build glibc with linuxthreads it
works fine under slack.

I'm starting to think going with the development book is just a better
idea at this point.  Right now I'm using a combination of the two
(stable with a few development sections such as 6.8).  I've got a
Slack partition but I'm doing the chapter 5 build using the Live CD.
I'll do the chroot and all in Slack though.

Daniel