Booting New LFS System Ends in Kernel Panic

Dan McGhee farmerdan at i-rule.net
Tue Apr 5 03:26:18 PDT 2005

I got it to boot.

I did three things--a troubleshooting "no-no"--so I don't know exactly
what worked, although I do have my suspicions.

1.  I started from scratch on the kernel compile.  I used my previous
'.config' file and was very careful to insure that ext2,ext3, hotplug
and the ide drivers were compiled into the kernel.

2.  I "tarred up" and removed the /tools directory.

3.  I added an absolute path to my LFS partition in GRUB--this is the
one that I think made the difference.

I rebooted and it ran--almost.

The first time the boot failed to complete and ended in a series of
messages of which this was one:

/bin/sh:line 0:exec:/bin/agetty:cannot execute No such file or directory
/bin/sh: /bin/agetty: No such file or directory

I did a quick check, and sure enough /bin/agetty did not exist, but
/sbin/agetty did.  I created a symlink and everything came up and ran.
I havent' had the time to research  the call to /bin/agetty to see if
it's correct or not.  The "hand-off" to init and what happens after that
is not one of my strong suits.

This feeling of accomplishment is something.  I've been disgusted with
distros since about six months after I started using linux.
Linux-From-Scratch is just what the doctor ordered.  Thanks and
compliments to those who have made it what it is today.

And many thanks to Andrew Benton,  Justin Julian, Jaqui Greenlees, and
Ken Moffat  for their time and suggestions in helping me solve this.

Dan