LFS + BLFS: planning disk space

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Thu Apr 7 13:42:28 PDT 2005

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Glenn Becker wrote:

> I am planning out partitions on a 'new' laptop and want to dedicate a
> partition to LFS ... I saw in the doc that 2 - 3 gigs is recommended for
> an install of LFS ... does this include enough space for BLFS as well, or
> should I make the partition larger than 3G?

 If you want not-too-much of gnome and kde, you can certainly build a
desktop system in 3 GB.  If you've got the space, a bigger partition
will be better.  I've just partitioned my new desktop box at 4 GB a time
- several of these for multiple builds, plus a 10 GB area for
benchmarking (could also build OOo in that if I wanted).

 Just remember to keep space for whatever you actually do on the laptop
- putting /home on a separate partition is usually convenient,
particularly if you're going to have a lot of photos or media files on
it.

Ken