make without /bin/sh

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri Apr 8 02:32:05 PDT 2005

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, David Snyder wrote:

> Ok so I completed all of part 5 and am starting to install the basic
> system.   Now here's the problem... when I run "make install" in
> man-pages, it prompts that it can't find "/bin/sh" which is fine
> because I haven't installed the sym-link.
>
> My question is... how can I go about running "make install" without
> even creating the sym-link and actually never have a "bin" directory.
> Obviously "/bin/sh" is hard-wired into make or gcc or something else...
> but is there a way to compile make & gcc so that it looks for the shell
> somewhere else.... say SHELL=/executables/shell

 Whatever it is that you're trying to build, it isn't linux as
conventionally understood - the directory structure is deeply ingrained
everywhere.

 Presumably, you'll need to inspect the source of each package and alter
the configure scripts (paths, /bin/sh, where to look for headers if you
are moving those) and Makefile fragments (many packages use Makefile.in
to generate the Makefile, so you may need to understand how the
autotools work).  Sounds like a major piece of work, and when it breaks
you get to keep both pieces.

 There was a project a year or two ago to create a distro with
everything into different directories, I don't recall what they were
called or if they are still in existence.

Ken