BLFS starting point

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 05:02:33 PDT 2005

Andrew Benton wrote:
> Donal Farrell wrote:
>
>> Hi there. Is it possible to build BLFS from my host system (SuSE) until
>> I have a GUI-based LFS-system to view the BLFS manual, etc?
>>
> Do you mean "is it possible to do BLFS in chroot"? I think the answer is
> yes, provided you're running the same kernel on your host system as
> you'll be using with your BLFS system. I don't recommend it though as I
> think you're missing out on an important part of LFS if you don't learn
> to become comfortable at the command prompt (and wear some sackcloth and
> ashes while you're at it). If you get bored of entering the commands and
> want to avoid typos, think about putting all the commands in a script
> which can be left to run unattended.

Andrew is right.  What I do is to print out the BLFS pages for xorg and
all it's dependencies.  I then download those packages using the host
system and store them on the new one.  I also build the xorg config file
using the host - saves typing 'cos you can cut and paste.

Then reboot into your LFS system and build the xorg dependencies, and
finally xorg itself.  Building X11 outside X11 considerably speeds it up
too (will on my hardware).

Don't script it the first time round, it spoils the fun.  And spend some
time reading the man pages on the packages after you install them.

Well done for getting this far,
R.