install problem LFS 6

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri Apr 8 11:03:38 PDT 2005

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Rich Hopkins wrote:

> I have followed the LFS 6 book and each package
> compiles successfully.
> However on page 56, (5.9 Adjusting the toolchain)
>
> SPECFILE='gcc --print-file specs' &&
> sed 's@ /lib/ld-linux.so.2@
> /tools/lib/ld-linux.so.2 at g' \
> $SPECFILE > tempspecfile &&
> mv -f tempspecfile $SPECFILE &&
> unset SPECFILE
>
> the above command causes a large screen of information
> about about how to use sed.

 That's because you've got single quotes on the first line, they should
be back-ticks

SPECFILE=`gcc --print-file specs`

which causes SPECFILE to be set to the full name of the specfile.
You can then "echo $SPECFILE" to confirm it.

> And on page 58, when doing the sanity checks it fails.
> Nothing is shown on the screen. /lib/ld-linux.so.2 is
> still being used if i do readelf -l /bin/ls
> as a test.
>
> So using the advice on the previous page of changing
> the file by hand. (the file still had
> /lib/ld-linux.so.2 in it)
>
> I changed this reference to /tools/lib/ld-linux.so.2
> and saved the file.
>
> Repeated the sanity check and still did not work.
> I also repeated the check on random binary file which
> displays that it is still using /lib/ld-linux.so.2
>
> and not the one located in /tools

Try running the first part of the corrected command again, then compare
tempspecfile to your edited "original", e.g. using diff -u.

Ken