PTY-Problem

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri Apr 8 13:18:04 PDT 2005

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Prof. MAAD wrote:

> Also, there's a very mysterious behavior of the chroot-environment. When
> I just chroot'ed and then switched to /dev, he shows me the "console"
> and "null" device. But when I then create the "stdin","stdout", etc..
> links, the "console" and "null" devices are no longer there.
>
> So my problem is: How can I get enought PTY'S to continue with the book?

 Take another look at the book - we create null and console in the /dev
directory, but then we mount a filesystem on it : before you create
stdin, stdout, etc you need to again create console and null!

 I'll hazard a guess that this, plus perhaps other omitted devices,
might be enough to make you run out of ptys.  Certainly you won't get
very far without a working /dev/null.

Ken