Symbolic Link Problem

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri Apr 8 13:26:53 PDT 2005

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, bakermd at ameritech.net wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I recently started my LFS build over from scratch, partly because I had
> numerous errors and wanted a fresh start and partly because I wanted to
> convert to Reiserfs.
>
> Now, I'm having a silly problem setting up the working enviornment.  I
> didn't have this problem before, and there's probably some really obvious
> answer that I'm just missing:
>
> When I try to set up the symbolic link
>
> ln -s $LHS/tools /
>
> I get
>
> ln: `//tools': File exists
>
> $LFS is set to /mnt/lfs and ls -l doesn't output the symbolic link.
>
> I'm using Slackware 10 and LFS 6.0.
>
> Thanks.

 First, please start a new thread when you want to ask a question.  I
don't use a threaded reader so I don't get too bothered by it, but I'm
disconcerted to see my unrelated reply here.

Second, please don't top post, and trim whatever isn't relevant.

Anyway, I think your problem is that the symlink from /tools to
/mnt/lfs/tools already exists (try 'ls -l /').

Ken