Bringing up the loopback interface RTNETLINK answers: File exists

Andrew Benton andy at benton987.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Apr 10 13:51:41 PDT 2005

Hello list,
I've just built 6.1 testing-20050401 and when I reboot into it I get a failure when
the boot scripts try to bring up the loopback interface, it says
RTNETLINK answers: File exists
This is the first time I've built with the lfs-bootscripts-3.2.0 and iproute2. In the
past I've stuck with the lfs-bootscripts-2.1.2 and net-tools-1.60 as it was working
(if it ain't broke...) so I'm completely unfamiliar with iproute2. Looking at the
localnet script the important lines seem to be

ip link set lo up
ip addr add 127.0.0.1/8 label lo dev lo

My guess is the first line is bringing up the loopback interface and the second line
is giving the error because the loopback interface already exists. Does this work for
you guys and not for me?