Missing line in fstab

Jeremy Huntwork jmhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Apr 11 11:23:08 PDT 2005

Donal Farrell wrote:
> Hi Jeremy. Thanks for your help. No I don't have a /dev/cdrom the only
> things in dev are /dev/console /dev/null and /dev/tty.

Ok, first of all which version of LFS have you built? If it's a 6.x
version, then something's not happening correctly with udev, because you
should have more items than that in /dev

That's really the first place to start.  Once you get udev working and
filling up /dev with more devices, then you can begin accessing your
hardware.

Can you manually run the udev bootscript and tell me what you get?

/etc/rc.d/init.d/udev start

>How can I make a
> symlink to the real device? Suse's fstab doesn't say which IDE device it
> but mtab says its hdc and hdd is  a cd rewriter. The mtab lines from
> SuSE are as follows
 >
> /dev/hdd /media/cdrecorder subfs
> ro,nosuid,nodev,fs=cdfss,procuid,iocharset=utf8 0 0
> /dev/hdc /media/cdrom subfs
> ro,nosuid,nodev,fs=cdfss,procuid,iocharset=utf8 0 0

In this case, once you get udev going and /dev/hdc actually exists, then
  you can make a symlink to it either manually:

ln -s hdc /dev/cdrom

or in the udev rules file, which is preferable, because otherwise you'd
have to remake the symlink every time you boot.

--
Jeremy H.