Problem booting LFS - /proc/etc/rc.d/sysinit.d/S00mountkernfs not found

Cliffe Hodgkinson hodgkinson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 11:47:52 PDT 2005

I've gotten all the way through the LFS process, and all seems well, except
that when I boot, I get the following errors:
INIT: version 2.85 booting
Mounting kernel-based file systems: /proc/etc/rc.d/sysinit.d/S00mountkernfs:
Line 15: /bin/mount: No such file or directory
grep: /proc/filesystems: No such file or directory [FAILED]
Activating all swap files/partitions...
swapon: cannot stat /dev/hda2: No such file or directory [FAILED]
Mounting root file system in read-only mode...
/etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d/S30checkfs: line 30: /bin/mount: No such file
o[FAILED]or
Checking file systems...
fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda1

/dev/hda1: The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct
ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is
corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

File system errors were encountered that couldn't be fixed automatically.
This system cannot continue to boot and will therefore be halted until those
errors fixed manually by a System Administrator. [FAILED]

When you press Enter, this system will be halted.

Press Enter to continue...
--------------------- End of Error ---------------------

That /proc/etc/rc.d/sysinit.d/S00mountkernfs seems funny to me. Any
suggestions on where I can look to fix that? It should just be
/etc/rc.d/sysinit.d/S00mountkernfs. I've looked in
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mountkernfs, and it says the following:

. /etc/sysconfig/rc
. $rc_functions

case "$1" in
            start)
                    echo -n "Mounting kernel-based file systems:"

                    if [ ! - e /proc/mounts ]; then
                                        echo -n " /proc"
                                        mount -n /proc || failed=1
                    fi

                    if grep -q '[[:space:]]sysfs' /proc/filesystems; then
                                        if [ -d /sys -a ! -d /sys/block ];
then
                                                            echo -n " /sys"
                                                            mount -n /sys ||