Building LFS without gcc, make, etc.

Rainer Peter Feller Rainer-Peter.Feller at physik.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Apr 12 03:42:52 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 11:14 +0200, Winter Andreas wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> > Winter Andreas wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > after having successfully build a running LFS, I tried to
> > build a system
> > > without gcc, make and other development tools (the goal is
> > to build a
> > > minimal system). So I started by skipping the corresponding
> > sections in chap
> > > 6.
> > Don't skip anything. Follow the book. Good book.
>
> Yes, good book. I have followed the book and everything worked. But now I
> want to end up whith a system without any development tools. Of course I can
> try to manually remove gcc, etc after the build.
> And remember: "It's your distro".
>

> > > Question:
> > > I would like to make a link from /usr/include to
> > /tools/include (just the
> > > other way round), so that all .h files end up in
> > /tools/include. Is this a
> > > reasonable solution if I don't want to build the gcc, etc.
> > in chap 6?
> > >
> > No
I am afraid you want to try it the wrong way round ...

You should 1st try to build a "normal" system (I suppose you already
have done this).
Then build the applications you want to have with a common $DESTDIR.
When you have compiles all your applications you can remove include dirs
and  static libs.
At last you have to find out which libraries are needed from your
"normal" system. Copy them to your $DESTIR/lib, make your systemconfig.
Then you have your smal system ...
CUH Rainer Peter Feller