terrible kernel mistake

Donal Farrell 0161977 at student.ul.ie
Tue Apr 12 08:34:51 PDT 2005

Hi to all. To cut crap, this is what I did..

I'd been trying to het through the early stages (pre-X) of BLFS by using
chroot. I knew that the minor versions of the host and lfs kernels were
different. I got as far as autofs and i had to recompile the kernel here
for SBM and NFS filesystem support. I booted into LFS and did this using
the following

make menuconfig

ticked off all the boxes pertaining to NFS, automounting and SMB

make install_modules

cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/lfskernel-2.6.8.1
cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.8.1
cp .config /boot/config-2.6.8.1

and i reboot into SuSE to see how things were goin (??) When I tried to
compile and make autofs, I got errors, which I reckoned had something to
do with the different kernel versions. I reboot back into LFS and I get
this...

make: warning:  Clock skew detected.  Your build may be incomplete.
root at linux:/sources/linux-2.6.8.1# chroot "$LFS" /usr/bin/env -i \
root at linux:/sources/linux-2.6.8.1# make menuconfig
make: Warning: File `.vmlinux.cmd' has modification time 2.7e+02 s in
the future
scripts/kconfig/mconf arch/i386/Kconfig
#
# using defaults found in .config
#

Your kernel configuration changes were NOT saved.

make: warning:  Clock skew detected.  Your build may be incomplete.

make: warning:  Clock skew detected.  Your build may be incomplete.

Anything I can do without havin to rebuild EVERYTHING?? Can I recompile
in chroot (this time using make mrproper??)

Thanks in advance

Donal :(