kernel panic, etc.

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Wed Apr 13 10:30:56 PDT 2005

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Andrew Benton wrote:

> Donal Farrell wrote:
> > Now I tried going back into chroot and compiling again like we were
> > shown in LFS chapter 8 (kernel ) {LFS vs 6.0 linux-2.6.8.1} I get the
> > same kernel panic message. Is there anything I can do in either chroot
> > or by magic in LFS to correct this or am I destined for a complete
> > rebuild?? Thanks in advance for any help.
> >
> You should be able to recompile the kernel in chroot. Do you have a known-good kernel
> config to use? The question is why are you getting the kernel panic? If you build the
> same kernel for LFS as you're using on your host and get a panic in LFS and not on
> your host then the kernel isn't the source of the problem.

If Donal doesn't have a known good .config, maybe the best bet is to
compile a kernel on the host, install it, save the .config, and then
boot and test it.  Repeat until it does everything necessary, then go
back into chroot and copy the .config over.  Potentially tedious, but it
breaks the problem down.

Ken