/dev/input/mice & NVidia

Andrew Benton b3nt at ukonline.co.uk
Fri Apr 15 09:25:54 PDT 2005

Donal Farrell wrote:
> Hi there. I'm having a little trouble with Xorg-6.8.2 in BLFS 6.0
>
> My mouse is not detected  ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse and there is no
> /dev/mouse either. I am sticking rigidly to the book and used
> /dev/input/mice
Have you tried /dev/psaux? A good place to look for guidance is your host system. Is
/dev/mouse a symlink pointing at something else? What's it pointing at?
  Also, something that could be part of the problem is the
> Nvidia drivers ( I downloaded the latest driver for Linux IA32 from
> nvidia.com) but am unsure when to install it (i.e. after Xorg or before)
> I did however disable DRI in the kernel under the options (->device
> drivers->character devices) Any suggestions??
Yes, give up on the closed source Nvidia drivers, they're more trouble than they're
worth. Use the open source nv driver that comes with Xorg. If you do want to install
the nvidia drivers, you have to compile xorg first.