/dev/input/mice & NVidia

Andrew Benton b3nt at ukonline.co.uk
Sat Apr 16 02:32:22 PDT 2005

Jeremy Huntwork wrote:
> Er. What's the trouble with the nvidia drivers? There's nothing to them.
>  Just keep your (compiled) kernel source around.  They work great. Much
> better than the open source nv driver.

I used to use the Nvidia module but it seemed to break with every new kernel. Plus it
made recompiling the kernel more complicated because it had to be reinstalled with
every new kernel and it was the only module I used so it when I stopped using it I
could do away with all the module loading options in the kernel and I no longer need
to install module init tools. I don't have a TV attached to the computer or need any
of the other fancy features the Nvidia module is supposed to provide. Life's a lot
simpler without it, in my opinion, it's more trouble than it's worth. But as always,
Your milage may vary