Cann't start LFS System

Thomas Berger thomas.berger.lpz at freenet.de
Sun Apr 17 14:10:56 PDT 2005

Hi Freaks,

I have completely installed the LFS 6.0 System.
After reboot the kernel output this message:

> VFS: Cannot open root device "sdb1" or unknown-block(8,17)
> Please append a correct "root" boot option
> Kernel Panic VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,17)

I use the SuSE Grub configuration and have inserted the
following section:
> title lfs-2.6.8.1
>    root (hd3,0)
>    kernel (hd3,0)/boot/lfs-2.6.8.1 root=/dev/sdb1 vga=0x31a ro

SuSE and Knoppix uses correctly my sdb1 partition.
I have reiserfs and scsi emulation in the kernel compiled...
Is a initrd required? I think no?

Where is my Problem?  I cann't located this...
Thanks beautifully for all hints!!!
Best Regards Thomas