lfs & ppc

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Apr 18 05:28:42 PDT 2005

Andreas Fehr wrote:
> Hi *
>
> I run into a different problems with my mac mini and LFS. I didn't find
> answers in the book and am not sure, if there is a list with ppc topics.
> So if I'm wrong in this list, please let me know.
>

> I have a running LFS system, but I'm not able to use my own kernel. I
> have copied one of yellow-dog-linux. So I guess, yaboot and all the boot
> stuff is correct.
>
> As soon as I copy one of my kernels, the system hangs or comes up with a
> of boot error message.
>
> a) does this sound as a known problem of beginners?
>
> b) in the arch/ppc/boot/images directory of the kernel, I found 6 or 7
>    files that might be kernels. which one do I have to copy into my
>    /boot directory?
>

> (none of the i386 systems I set up had similar problems)
>
> (and yes, I did use some .config file of ydl (though I'm not sure it was
> the most recent one))

Whenever I build kernels on the ppc, I just use the uncompressed kernel,
the 'vmlinux' file that shows up in the top of the kernel tree after
you're done compiling.

Although it's not 100% complete, and may contain a few bugs, there's a
multi-arch LFS book under development with a ppc section.  It might be a
good reference for you:

http://documents.jg555.com/multi-arch/ppc/

HTH,
--