packaging was Re: lfs without make, gcc etc

Rainer Peter Feller Rainer-Peter.Feller at physik.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Apr 19 04:24:30 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 13:09 +0200, Iñaki de la Fuente wrote:
> I've read that you can make one tar for every package you compile using this
> sequence:
>
> pushd /
> find . > before
> popd /
>
> Do what you should do for compiling the package and then
>
> pushd /
> find . > after
> diff after before > packagename.contents
> popd /
>
> And then  compress packagename.contents
>
> Doing that I've a message when I execute find: Hard link count is wrong for
> ./proc: this may be a bug in you filesystem driver
> is that a normal message?
>
> Later my packagename.contents have lots of things related with proc directory,
> should I compress all this archives? or only the files that are related with
> my package

/proc is a so called virtual file system, nothing inside proc will come
from any package you will install (except driver, kernel, etc (-: )
so you should ignore everything from every virtual filesystem.
it is also a good idea to ignore things in
/tmp /dev /etc /var/spool /var/log /var/run /var/mail /sys
and much more probably
oh yes and there are always those nasty symlinks and empty dirs and
other such things ...
it is not only that, packaging can be very awful ...
there are many hints about this topic
there are also hints about using this lists :-)
some about not to init a new thread with replying to an old ans this is
a new thread :-)

CUH Rainer Peter Feller