Stepping up Processor

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Wed Apr 20 02:47:35 PDT 2005

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Michael Kipper wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is probably off-topic, but I'll ask anyways.
> I'm building LFS on my Compaq R3000 laptop, which has an Athlon64 3400+.
> When the processor is idle, it runs at 800MHz, but steps up to 2.2GHz or so
> when it's busy. This is usually accompanied by a fan. Or so it seems in
> WinXP.
> I am using debian unstable to host the build (which will eventually get
> turned into a /var partition.
> Problem is, the processor never steps up, so the build is probably taking
> 4x as long!
> I've build all the frequency scaling and fan stuff into the kernel.
> Any ideas on how to monitor this, or fix it? Do I need a utility?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

I believe that if you are running 2.6.9 or later, you don't need a
utility - as long as all of the drivers are built into the kernel (cat
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors) root
can echo 'performance' or 'ondemand' to the scaling_governor file in
this directory.

Alternatively, for debian (and for earlier kernels) you can apt-get (or
build) powernowd (to use the userspace governor). I'm now running
'ondemand' - it can apparently take a few seconds to speed up/down,
while the latest powernowd is pretty instantaneous.

But, are you sure the processor doesn't speed up ?  The defaults for the
kernel are probably to enable 'performance' so that it always runs at
full speed - what does /proc/cpuinfo say about the MHz ?

Ken