stuck at configuring binutils

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sat Apr 30 13:08:46 PDT 2005

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, cfk wrote:

>  When I run the configure script, on the seventh line of the script, where the
> check for gcc functionality is performed, the script tells me that "C
> compiler cannot create executables".
>
>  Running 'gcc -v' returns gcc version 3.4.2. This is a FedoraCore3 system and
> has built executables in the past, so the message must be misleading.

 Check what it says in the output from configure (config.log).  You
should see the command line (something like gcc -o conftest conftest.c)
together with the skeletal program.  If there is nothing else that
looks informative, copy the program into conftest.c and run the command
line to see what error messages you get.

You don't say which version of the book you're trying to build, but in
the past people have had problems trying to build "old" toolchains using
fedora hosts (fedora tends to have the bleeding edge in it).

Ken