Building on 2.4 kernel

Andrew Benton b3nt at ukonline.co.uk
Sun May 1 09:59:31 PDT 2005

Phillip Fynan wrote:
> OK, Thanks anyway.
> I guess I can try hacking out an upgrade to my RedHat 9 system that
> doesn't quite work (I'm lazy and quite a newbie - read: first time
> rebuilding the kernel), or using the LFS live CD.
>
> It would be cool if that really did work, though.

You would be wise to nail down a decent kernel config that works with your system
before you build LFS. If you build everything into the kernel (no modules) you don't
need to do make modules_install, the kernel is just one binary that you can put
anywhere and boot with an entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst, so it won't have any effect
on your system and the 2.4 kernel you're used too, they can co-exist.
When you get to the end of your first LFS build you've got the bootscripts,
networking, building Xwindows and a dozen other heavy things to worry about. Do
yourself a favour, get the kernel out of the way. Working out a decent kernel config
is one of the hardest things about doing LFS because you have to do it for yourself.
For the rest of it, just follow the good book and you won't go wrong