How close is 6.1?

John Gay johngay at eircom.net
Mon May 2 04:22:18 PDT 2005

On Monday 02 May 2005 09:57, Andrew Benton wrote:
> John Gay wrote:
> > My current box is a 6.0TP, but I'm going to be starting to rebuild on a
> > new box this week, and I hope to have an even better box early in June so
> > I was wondering will 6.1 be near completion?
>
> In my opinion, LFS-6.1 is good to go
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/testing/
> http://lfs.securewebservices.co.uk/lfs/downloads/TESTING-20050428/LFS-BOOK-
>TESTING-20050428-HTML.tar.bz2

Well, in honestly, I've always felt that LFS was very stable in it's testing
phase (-;

My real question, and I know it's more BLFS related at this point, I know that
BLFS-6.0 is tested and targeted for LFS-6.0, and I've noticed a few
discussions regarding issues when mixing the stable and testing branches of
LFS and BLFS.

The box I'm building on this week is an AMD with nVidia graphics and I want to
put LFS-6.0 and BLFS-6.0, mainly KDE and general desktop tools.

In June I'm getting a Dual Opteron, again with nVidia graphics and plan to
build a 64-bit system with 32-bit support libs where needed. So, will
LFS-6.1, and more importantly, BLFS-6.1 be ready for the task?

This box will also have a KDE desktop, but will be mainly for Computer Graphic
Animation, using POV-Ray and the mjpeg-tools for creating the DVD content.

Again, sorry for straying into BLFS territory here, but the base system does
have some bearing on the tools you build on top of it.

Cheers,

	John Gay