Strange man behaviour.

TheOldFellow theoldfellow at gmail.com
Mon May 2 22:29:04 PDT 2005

I've just built a new LFS using the Cross-LFS method.  Most things
seem to be very stable, but I've got two inexplicable problems.  I'll
start seperate threads on them though.

Man reads /etc/man.conf, but ignores it.

'man man', for instance, results in 'No manual entry for man', but
'man -M /usr/share/man man'  works fine.  I've checked /etc/man.conf
(perms 644) is correct - it's untouched from install.  I've rebuilt
man-1.5p using straight LFS instructions.  If i remove /etc/man.conf,
then man complains that it isn't there - so I know it's reading it.

I even rebuilt glibc and then man again, in case the Cross-LFS method
was borked in some way.  I don't use compiler optimisation.

Short of putting debug in the source, which I'm not competant to do,
what else can I try?

R.