LD_LIBRARY_PATH and ldconfig

Michael Kipper mkipper at rogers.com
Tue May 3 12:36:34 PDT 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to compile Perl in chapter 5 on an x86_64 platform (for an
x86_64 platform), and I'm having a problem with libtermcap.so
Specifically, I get:

sh: error while loading shared libraries: libtermcap.so.2: cannot open
shared object file:No such file or directory

/etc/ld.so.conf has /lib64 and /usr/lib64 in it and I've run ldconfig. That
hasn't seemed to solve the problem, but I can solve it by putting an:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/tools/lib64:/lib64:/usr/lib64"

before the make command.
I previously did the sanity check, and it worked just fine.
What have I done wrong?

Thanks,
Michael