Cann't start LFS System

Giulio Daprela gdaprela at email.it
Tue May 3 16:30:48 PDT 2005

> Hi Freaks,
>
> I have completely installed the LFS 6.0 System.
> After reboot the kernel output this message:
>
> > VFS: Cannot open root device "sdb1" or unknown-block(8,17)
> > Please append a correct "root" boot option
> > Kernel Panic VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,17)
>
> I use the SuSE Grub configuration and have inserted the
> following section:
> > title lfs-2.6.8.1
> >    root (hd3,0)
> >    kernel (hd3,0)/boot/lfs-2.6.8.1 root=/dev/sdb1 vga=0x31a ro
>
> SuSE and Knoppix uses correctly my sdb1 partition.
> I have reiserfs and scsi emulation in the kernel compiled...
> Is a initrd required? I think no?
>
> Where is my Problem?  I cann't located this...
> Thanks beautifully for all hints!!!
> Best Regards Thomas
> --

Sorry for the late answer, but I don't look very often at
this ml. I have the same problem as yours, and at this moment
I know the reason for this behaviour but I don't have a good
solution.

What I could suggest you is a workaround that for me works
very well. The following line in your grub:

kernel (hd3,0)/boot/lfs-2.6.8.1 root=/dev/sdb1 vga=0x31a ro

Becomes:

kernel (hd3,0)/boot/lfs-2.6.8.1 root=08:17 vga=0x31a ro

where 08 and 17 are the major and minor number of sdb1
as the kernel itself tell to you in the message.

For some reason the kernel is not able to mount the
root partition as sdb1, and you have to indicate the
major and minor number. But at the end of the boot
process, as you'll note, sdb1 will exists and will be
accessible as sdb1. Don't ask me why, I don't really
know.

Let me know if my suggestion was good for you.

Regards
Giulio

 Sponsor:
 Niente paura, da oggi puoi recuperare i dati persi dal PC, semplice come
cliccare qui
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=3361&d=20050504