Fw: LFS 6.0 problem on i-686-pc-linux-gnu

GALLICET Alessandro Gallicet.Alessandro at Quipo.It
Thu May 5 08:36:01 PDT 2005

GALLICET Alessandro wrote:

>2005-05-04, 22.32.14:
>
>My best regards to everyone, and possible apologizes
>for my poor english language (... I'm an italian subscriber to the
>List), apart from personal inexperience in computer science:
>
>I'm trying to convert myself to a LINUX-GNU operating system
>installing a Linux From Scratch 6.0 on an Intel Pentium PRO
>133 MHz machine (i686-pc-linux-gnu) with CD-ROM driver, using

133 MHz is NOT going to be i686.  That's going to be a i586 machine,
most assuredly.

-J-
---
[Quipo ISP - Questa E-mail e' stata controllata dal programma Declude Virus]
[Quipo ISP - This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]

Jeremy Utley and Steffen R. Knollmann have in doubt that my ooold machine is PPro 133 MHz:

Well, I've said I'm not a programmer, nor I am so experienced in hardware and software (I am
geologist), but I strictly followed the instructions in the LFS 6.0 book of Gerard Beekmans (... apart
from trying to install GCC v. 3.3.3 instead of v. 3.4.1, simplistic thinking to resolve my problem);
the output of the config.guess script of Binutils 2.15.91.0.2 is however the target-triplet
i686-pc-linux-gnu, and my PC assembles an Intel PPro CPU on a CUV4X-E ASUS motherboard.
Perhaps the problem depends on Binutils?!

Thank you!

2005-05-05, 16.26.34: