Question on LFS LiveCD 6.0-1

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Sat May 7 07:53:11 PDT 2005

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but if not,
someone please LART me and tell me where I should pose the question.

Having used the LFS LiveCD a few times now for testing a few builds, I see
one thing that I feel would be an improvement, is if it were possible to
boot the CD on more than one machine and use distcc to be able to compile
on multiple machines. This would let me sneak CPU time on my wife's box
without buggering up her SuSE, for example. This would improve build speed
significantly on my little Crusoe-based laptop. ;-)

This would mean adding distcc to (I would assume) Chapter 9 and making sure
the binary is compiled on the CD; having a README blurb on how to set up
multiple machines, and either a) modifying the ALFS profile to accept the
-j parameter or b) adding a .patch file (with instructions on how to use in
the README) to modify the profile for multiple machine compilations.

I have very limited experience (read: none ;-) on building LiveCDs, but I'm
willing to do the work on making a new profile (or .patch files for the
existing profile) to add the distcc ability to the LiveCD. I am willing to
build a whole new LiveCD (I was rather planning on it anyway...) but that
will take a lot longer, as I have to learn how to do it first. ;-)

Ideas? Brickbats? If I'm "full of condensed milk" as my father-in-law used
to say, please feel free to let me know! ;-)

Thanks,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | A new truth in advertising slogan
SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers | for MicroSoft: "We're not the oxy...