Kernel-panic ... damn, oh damn

com bio combiofriends at yahoo.com
Mon May 9 09:29:14 PDT 2005

--- DJ Lucas <dj at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> Kristian Poul Herkild wrote:
> > After 4 (or 5 days? - can't remember it by now) of
> hard work to install
> > LFS6.0 I now have a bootable system... almost :P
> >
> > After 45 minutes of intense fighting with Grub I
> managed to get past the
> > error 15 and later an error 1 ... somehow it
> couldn't figure out that
> > (hd1,0) was /boot ... so it couldn't find
> /boot/lfskernel-2.6.8.1 ...
> >
> > That works now. But after having mounted the
> partitions, LFS comes up
> > with this n00b-error (I'm the n00b): >>Kernel
> panic. No init found. Try
> > passing init= option to the kernel.<<
> >
> > That's fine... if I knew what to pass to the
> kernel. Have I missed a
> > configuration file or what? I've been reading and
> reading on google, and
> > I just get's more and more confused. And it's
> frustrating because I know
> > it's simple - I just can't see the solution :(
> >
> > Kind Regards
> > Kristian Poul Herkild

This is because it is not able to locate the kernel in
ur harddisk.
1)check if u have set the correct option in grub.conf
, i.e check if u have set root= option properly.
2)u can try changing ur root= option by pressing 'e'
when u see the boot screen. after editing press 'b' to
boot.
If this does not solve ur problem boot in to ur system
using linux live cds or other installed linux and send
 the output of /sbin/fdisk and ur grub.conf along with
details of where ur boot and root partition of lfs are there.

link to deepan chakravarthy's resume: http://deepanchakravarthy.tk

Center for Biotechnology,
Anna University,
Chennai,