ncurses libraries:why they are moved

Jeremy Utley jeremy at jutley.org
Tue May 10 20:26:57 PDT 2005

Andreas Fehr wrote:

>On Tue, 10 May 2005, 13:19, lin q (as lq) wrote:
>

>>lq: I am in Chapter 6 and compiling ncurses. After "make install",
>>lq: there are some instructions about moving the libncurses.so.5* from
>>lq: /usr/lib to /lib.
>>lq:
>>lq: I wonder why it is wrong that these libraries are in /usr/lib? If
>>lq: I do not do this, then when I compile some other application
>>lq: ncurses libraries will not be found?
>>

>As far as I understand (and is described in chapter 2.4. Mounting the
>New Partition), it might well be, that /usr is not on the same device
>(harddisk partition) as the stuff needed to boot the system. If somehow,
>Linux fails to mount /usr, the rest of the system (all system libraries)
>are still accessible from the device, that holds the root partition (/).
>
>I think, I read something like that in the book, but can't remember
>where it was. So if you have / and /usr on the same partition, I think
>this isn't a problem. But for consistency, I'd copy them to /lib.
>
>Andreas (other might tear me apart and have other ideas on this)

You are absolutely correct.  Anything that is needed to boot the system
is placed in /bin, /sbin, and /lib as per the FHS guidelines.  Since
bash requires ncurses libs, it becomes necessry to place the ncurses
libs into /lib.

You mentioned Fedora - they sidestep this requirement by building
everything needed in the boot process statically, meaning basically no
libs are needed in /lib.  Some people like this, however, I don't,
because it makes upgrading those programs a pain if a serious issue is
found with the static libs it's linked to.