LFS 6.0 : GCC 3.4.1 (pass 1) : Killed (program cc1)

Steven Taschuk staschuk at telusplanet.net
Sun May 15 09:38:24 PDT 2005

Back in March, Ron Parker posted

    http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-support/2005-March/026406.html

which reports that his effort to install LFS 6.0 failed when building
gcc 3.4.1 (pass 1).  The build died with the message

    xgcc: Internal error: Killed (program cc1)

while compiling insn-attrtab.c during the compiler bootstrap.

I, too, observed this problem.  Here's how:

    My host system is a (more or less) vanilla LFS 5.0, and thus
    runs kernel 2.4.22.

    Since LFS 6.0 wants a 2.6 kernel on the host, I downloaded
    2.6.8.1 and built it, using the usual compiler on LFS 5.0,
    which is gcc 3.3.1.

    Running that new kernel, I started following LFS 6.0, and gcc
    pass 1 failed as described above.

On rebooting the machine to run the old 2.4.22 kernel and starting
the gcc 3.4.1 (pass 1) section again, the problem did not occur;
I conclude that the kernel running is relevant.

I have not yet had time to test whether a 2.6 kernel compiled with,
say, gcc 2.95.3 exhibits the same problem, though that seems like
the obvious next step.

Steven Taschuk                             staschuk at telusplanet.net
"I may be wrong but I'm positive."  -- _Friday_, Robert A. Heinlein