Udev, cdrom permissions...

Nicolas FRANCOIS nicolas.francois at free.fr
Mon May 16 07:44:39 PDT 2005

I try to understand how udev works. I have a dvd reader on /dev/hdc, and a
CD writer on /dev/hdd, both on bus ide1. I modified
/etc/udev/rules.d/25-lfs.rules for the DVD to work as a CD reader (for
ripperX, or xmms), like this (the original global setting messed up
because there are two cdrom medias on ide1, I guess) :

# Create the /dev/cdrom symlink.
KERNEL="hdc", SYMLINK="cdrom", GROUP="cdrom"

The problem is I can't get a "cdrom" symlink with the right group setting
: I get root.root, but I'd like root.cdrom. As a normal user, ripperX
hangs on a message saying there are no more ptys (?). As root, it works
correctly, so it is definitly a permission issue.

My normal user belongs to users, audio, video, elog, cdrom, and there's an
existing cdrom group, of course.

What is going on here ?

I thought I had it on when I managed to modify the agpcard group to video,
and wad able to get DRI back online. But this seems different.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

\bye

--

Nicolas FRANCOIS