Udev, cdrom permissions...

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Mon May 16 10:10:56 PDT 2005

On Mon, 16 May 2005, Nicolas FRANCOIS wrote:

> I try to understand how udev works. I have a dvd reader on /dev/hdc, and a
> CD writer on /dev/hdd, both on bus ide1. I modified
> /etc/udev/rules.d/25-lfs.rules for the DVD to work as a CD reader (for
> ripperX, or xmms), like this (the original global setting messed up
> because there are two cdrom medias on ide1, I guess) :
>
> # Create the /dev/cdrom symlink.
> KERNEL="hdc", SYMLINK="cdrom", GROUP="cdrom"
>
> The problem is I can't get a "cdrom" symlink with the right group setting
> : I get root.root, but I'd like root.cdrom. As a normal user, ripperX
> hangs on a message saying there are no more ptys (?). As root, it works
> correctly, so it is definitly a permission issue.

 First, you need to put this in a rules file which will run before the
existing lfs rules, so something like 20-cdrom.rules should work.

 The following is based on something I got from Andrew Benton on
blfs-support, it should all be on one line

BUS="ide", KERNEL="hdc", GROUP="cdrom", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="cdrom dvd",
MODE="0660"

Ken