Problems when finishing the LFS

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sat May 21 11:38:53 PDT 2005

On Sat, 21 May 2005, Andreas Fehr wrote:

> Still, backup is only, if hda5 is mounted as backup. (check `mount`).
> But from lilos point of view, lfskernel-2.6.8.1 is on '/dev/hda5'/boot
> and not on '/dev/hda5'/backup/boot. Try to think what happens if
> /dev/hda5 is mounted as root ('/')

 I think you're losing sight of the problem, and perhaps confusing lilo
with grub, Andreas.  The path to a kernel that you put into lilo.conf is
where it can be found when you run lilo (which you do after updating
lilo.conf).  If Michell is running lilo from his slackware host, with
the lfs system mounted as /backup, then /backup/boot is correct.

 When lilo boots a kernel, it does not use filesystem paths, it loads
the blocks that it noted when it was last run (which is why lilo users
have to rerun lilo after building a new kernel, even if the image has
the same filename).

Ken