e2fsck error while booting LFS

Chakkaradeep C C chaks.lfs at gmail.com
Sun May 22 03:46:37 PDT 2005

hi all,

when i completed my LFS and booted the system,i got this error,

> > *********************************error********************************************
> > checking file systems...
> > fsck.ext2: Filesystem has unsupported feature(s) (/dev/hdb5)
> > e2fsck: Get a newer version of e2fsck!
> > ********************************error***********************************************

and Mathhew replied me this,

> Yeah, nice isn't it? :)  Basically it looks like your host, I'm guessing
> Fedora Core 3,

yep  my host system is Fedora Core 3!

>was running a patched version of e2fsprogs, or, if it's a
> very recent host, possibly e2fsprogs-1.37.  The result of this is that
> when you created your ext2 partition, it got created with some features
> that the old(ish) version of e2fsprogs installed in LFS-6.0 doesn't know
> about.  The easiest solution to this is to upgrade the e2fsprogs package
> to 1.37.

so i downloaded the new version of e2fsprogs-1.37 and i did the
following steps..these are the same as mentioned in the books for the
older version....

#cd e2fsprogs-1.37
#mkdir build
#cd build
#../configure --prefix=/usr --with-root-prefix=" " --enable-elf-shlibs
--disable-evms
#make
#make check
i got 80 Tests Successful :-)
#make install
#make install-libs

and updated my /etc/fstab as mentioned in LFS Book.....

now my root partition gets checked if it was not mounted properly and
improper shutdown..... :-)

with regards,
C.C.Chakkaradeep