automated install

Lai Zit Seng lzs at pobox.com
Sun May 22 18:19:30 PDT 2005

On Sun, 22 May 2005, Ben Cools wrote:

> I've read a lot about LFS by now and I am very enthusiastic about it.
> I am willing to try making my own distribution, but I still have one
> question left:
>
> Will I be capable, at the end of the learning process, to make my
> system auto compile itself, meaning: I put in a CD, I boot, I get an
> installer like in e.g. Mandrake, the system builds automatically, I
> can get to work.
>
> Basically it means: is it possible to to let a Linux installer build a
> system from scratch?

The short answer is Yes :)

Your buliding is a manual process. If all you need is to repeat those
steps over and over again, yes surely you can automate that. E.g. you
could take a look at nALFS.

In practice, however, if you want the "automated" process to adapt to
different hardware, different configuration options, etc etc... yeah, it
should still be do'able, just not so straight-forward as before :)

Regards,

.lzs
--
http://popoheads.com/~lzs/