Regarding Grub

Chakkaradeep C C chaks.lfs at gmail.com
Tue May 24 06:01:07 PDT 2005

hi all,

i had my LFS getting booted from my Fedora Core Grub,now i planned to change.

my LFS is in a separate hard-disk , my root system /dev/hdb5. i
installed grub as given in LFS book and it detected my stages
files.......here when i gave the root option as 'root (hd1,4),it
mounted my partition......then i configured my 'menu.1st' as,

*************menu.1st
file***************************************************************************
cat > /boot/grub/menu.lst << "EOF"
# Begin /boot/grub/menu.lst

# By default boot the first menu entry.
default 0

# Allow 30 seconds before booting the default.
timeout 30

# Use prettier colors.
color green/black light-green/black

# The first entry is for LFS.
title LFS 6.0
root (hd1,4)
kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.8.1 root=/dev/hdb5
EOF
*************menu.1st

when i rebooted my system,the grub bash like command mode came and i
didnt get menu.....then i selected the root as 'root (hd1,4)' , and to
my surprise, the message i got was,

'File System unknown,cannot mount unknown partition'

so now am not able to make grub work,i checked my 'menu.1st' twice,thrice.......

i would be happy if someone could help me out......

thanks in advance....

with regards,
C.C.Chakkaradeep