Comparing with gentoo

Chris Zotos chris at zotos.co.za
Wed May 25 01:28:04 PDT 2005

Gentoo's Stage 1 install, like LFS, builds every package from source. The
Gentoo Handbook guides the user through the installation process.

You can learn a lot with Gentoo, but I feel that LFS has that extra learning
curve because everything is literally done from scratch!

The one major thing that differs between Gentoo and LFS is the package
management.

LFS does not have any package management. If you want to install a certain
package with LFS, you need to install the package AND all the package
dependencies manually.

However, with Gentoo, the package management makes installing software
extremely easy with 'emerge'.

'emerge' works like Debian's 'apt-get'. It'll find and install your package,
and at the same time, it will install all the package dependencies.