Beginner's questions

Jim McLaren Jim at blackfingernail.com
Wed May 25 03:06:32 PDT 2005

Hi,

This is my first attempt at LFS so please bear with me for a while.

I am using SuSE 9.2 professional as my host distro. I have successfully set up
a partition, set up a user, downloaded all the files, but have hit a problem
in Setting up the environment (Chapter 4, page 31, LFS 6.0). I followed the
instructions on the page, but realised something was wrong when I su to lfs
and PS1 remains the default SuSE prompt, rather than the one I had set up. If
I run env, I get a whole lot of environment settings that have come from the
SuSE defaults somewhere. On consulting SuSe documentation, bash uses the
following files when creating a login shell:

/etc/profile
~/profile
/etc/bash.bashrc
~/.bashrc

I renamed my new .bash_profile to  .profile, but that did not make any
difference. I suspect that the settings from /etc/bash.bashrc are the ones
causing the problem. Has anyone else come across this, and how did you get
round it?

Secondly I tried to post to the newsgroups rather than use the mailing list,
but I wasn't allowed to post. Is the problem at my end or do I have to post
through the mailing lists?

Many thanks.
--
Jim