Comparing with Gentoo

Andrei A. Voropaev av at simcon-mt.com
Wed May 25 05:52:40 PDT 2005

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 06:06:38PM +0530, Chakkaradeep C C wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > LFS and Gentoo are similar in some ways in the sense that they both
> > offer you the opportunity to build your system from scratch, giving
> > plenty of customization and optimization choices. But their goals are
> > probably slightly different.
>
> this is what i want to know,....in what ways LFS and Gentoo are
> different?..both are building linux from scratch giving plenty of
> customization and optimization choices.....
>
> > Have you considered that perhaps Gentoo might be what you want? :)
>
> i will ask u the same question to the people out there.........when
> will u think that perhaps Gentoo might be what you want?...
>
> becoz we LFS people,when we say YDYR, we should emphazise by comparing
> with other available systems, for example Gentoo..........

Well. Just my opinion. I'm using LFS because I wanted to learn how to
build and maintain linux, not just because I wanted to have "self-built"
system. My whole idea was to create a system that is totally under my
control. In other words I know exactly what, when and why is executed,
added, removed.

Gentoo (and any other distribution) offers package management. This is
some obscure system that does decision making behind my back. (No I
don't want to say that this is bad, it's just something that I
personally don't like). For most of people, who have to manage fairly
complex setups, this is a must. Otherwise they can easily get lost. For
me it is not needed. My setup is fairly simple, so the little system
I've created for myself does very good job.

So, I would be kind of disappointed if LFS would include complex package
management system. Because then it would loose its clearness and become
just another distro like Gentoo. In which case I'd prefer to go with
Gentoo since it's by far more advanced in this area and still offers
"self-compiled" system.

Unlike you, I do consider YDYR the most important side of LFS. If you
don't care about this, then you should consider using Gentoo. (No
offend, just the reality :) In fact, I don't see any other thing that
would make LFS better than Gentoo :)