Comparing with Gentoo

S. Anthony Sequeira tony at sequeira.org.uk
Wed May 25 06:05:43 PDT 2005

On Wed, May 25, 2005 13:45, Chakkaradeep C C said:
> Hi,
>
>> If you really want to know what it's like, (or what the differences
>> are
>> between it and LFS) just try it and see for yourself. Then you can
>> make
>> your own opinion about it.
>
> oh my!..people building linux from gentoo have told me it takes nearly
> more number of days to master with.........so i dont have plans to try
> with gentoo.....

You really should try it yourself before you make any judgements.  It
does have an installer and excellent documentation, whereas LFS has
the excellent documentation, you are the installer :).  So if you have
a broadband connection, you can kick it off and leave it unattended
(mostly).

> my team is here is very keen in package management and i have decided
> to c how far Portage allows me to be used in LFS, and if Portage be
> ported into LFS :-) .....it would be gud...

AFAIK, emerge is a linux version of portage, or is intended to be.  A
search on gentoos web-site about it's history will be enlightening.

HTH.
--
Tony