Comparing with Gentoo

Robert Russell zoohoo.linux at gmail.com
Wed May 25 08:47:51 PDT 2005

On 5/25/05, S. Anthony Sequeira <tony at sequeira.org.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, May 25, 2005 13:45, Chakkaradeep C C said:

<snip>

> > oh my!..people building linux from gentoo have told me it takes nearly
> > more number of days to master with.........so i dont have plans to try
> > with gentoo.....
>
> You really should try it yourself before you make any judgements.  It
> does have an installer and excellent documentation, whereas LFS has
> the excellent documentation, you are the installer :).  So if you have
> a broadband connection, you can kick it off and leave it unattended
> (mostly).

Mostly alone or baby sit the whole way depending on diskspace, which
host tarball/livecd/profile you choose. Compiler incompatibilies, some
old libs, issues with alsa dependencies if using a 2.6.* kernel,
strange freeze ups, circular dependencies, reboot and nothing is on
the hard drive, really old or really bleeding edge multimedia
software, those are a couple of problems that kept coming up with
gentoo.

> > my team is here is very keen in package management and i have decided
> > to c how far Portage allows me to be used in LFS, and if Portage be
> > ported into LFS :-) .....it would be gud...
>
> AFAIK, emerge is a linux version of portage, or is intended to be.  A
> search on gentoos web-site about it's history will be enlightening.

I think emerge is the front-end, not really sure though.

> HTH.
> --
> Tony

LFS ID #12355