6.11 - Glibc-2.3.4 - /tools/bin/gcc: No such file or directory

Mike Dewan fp.unit at gmail.com
Mon May 30 22:33:45 PDT 2005

When attempting to run the configure script for Glibc-2.3.4-20040701 a fatal
error occured, dumping this relevant section of the config.log file:

configure:2310: checking for gcc
configure:2326: found /tools/bin/gcc
configure:2336: result: gcc
configure:2580: checking for C compiler version
configure:2583: gcc --version </dev/null >&5
../glibc-2.3.4-20040701/configure: line 2584: /tools/bin/gcc: No such
file or directory
configure:2586: $? = 127
configure:2588: gcc -v </dev/null >&5
../glibc-2.3.4-20040701/configure: line 2589: /tools/bin/gcc: No such
file or directory
configure:2591: $? = 127
configure:2593: gcc -V </dev/null >&5
../glibc-2.3.4-20040701/configure: line 2594: /tools/bin/gcc: No such
file or directory
configure:2596: $? = 127
configure:2600: checking for suffix of object files
configure:2621: gcc -c   conftest.c >&5
../glibc-2.3.4-20040701/configure: line 2622: /tools/bin/gcc: No such
file or directory
configure:2624: $? = 127
configure: failed program was:

When trying to actually use the compiler from the new chrooted environment 
(remember glibc is the first source actually -compiled- in Ch. 6) I get the 
"No such file or directory" error. A quick FAQ search made me try this command:

[shell]$ readelf -l /tools/bin/gcc | grep interpreter
    [Requested program interpreter: /lib/ld-linux.so.2]

This is where my confusion is starting to set in, because after
applying the Ch.5 specs file, and -manually- reviewing by hand (I
found only one occurence of /lib/ld-linux.so.2 which needed to be
replaced, so possibly I missed some occurences. The sed command seemed
to execute and not replace, so I adjusted the file by hand in Vi using
regex searches...)

So I thought I got all occurences but I was tired, vim didn't have
syntax highlighting for regex searches, and basically I could have
missed some. While adjusting the Ch.5 temporary toolchain, I wrote
that C file and ran the new compiler, then the readelf command as
shown in the big yellow box, to a tee. What made me keep going and not
retry anything was the fact that I infact -did- get the expected
results of the readelf command from Ch.5:

[shell]$ readelf -l a.out | grep interpreter

My host system is a fairly fresh Fedora Core 3 system, with minimal
tools except development tools installed, basically for the sole
purpose of installing LFS successfully for the first time.

More information about the lfs-support mailing list