Quick Kernel Question

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue May 31 02:59:11 PDT 2005

On Mon, 30 May 2005, Bobby Pejman wrote:

> Ok, so I have a quick kernel question. I'm on chapter
> 8 section 3 of the book. This is where I'm building
> the linux kernel. Now, I don't want to do that.

 Why not ?  Who are you going to get to do the kernel upgrades when the
next vulnerability is discovered ?  You've built gcc and glibc, the
kernel is considerably easier - and if you get it wrong, just go back to
chroot, edit the config, and repeat.

 You might be able to get the config of the running kernel with 'zcat
/proc/config.gz >/root/base-config'.  If you do this, you can use it to
build a similar kernel with 'make mrproper ;cp /root/base-config .config
; make oldconfig' (and yes, you _will_ be asked questions for any new
features - go with the default or read the help for that item).

 After you've got a kernel that works, you can revisit it later to
optimise the config and add any functionality that is missing.

 It's useful to keep the various old config files around, even if you
keep the config in /proc/config.gz, so that you can diff them to see
what you changed, or what changed in a kernel version upgrade.

Ken