Regarding Kernel

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue May 31 03:08:36 PDT 2005

On Tue, 31 May 2005, Chakkaradeep C C wrote:

> i did look into manpages and googled before posting into this
> mail.........and i do know that unless u install Module-Init-Tools u
> get this binary "generate_modprobe.conf".....when i run this command,
> it is asking for my old modprobe.conf.......this is my problem.....LFS
> is a new system and where will i search for the old
> modprobe.conf??.......

 Why do you think you _need_ a modprobe.conf ?  The LFS book recommends
building without modules, but I build with a _lot_ of modules for
various things.  So far, the _only_ items in modprobe.conf on any of my
boxes are for the network adaptor, e.g.

alias eth0 natsemi

 My impression is that module-init-tools usually knows enough to get
things into the right order without any of the old magic we used to have
to give to modutils.  Looking at the modprobe.conf on a host system
(debian, I think) recently was quite a shock - so much unnecesary cruft
in it.

Ken