Are the gcc build files still needed after section 5.4?

m at de-minimis.co.uk m at de-minimis.co.uk
Mon Jun 5 17:39:13 PDT 2006

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> On 6/5/06, m at de-minimis.co.uk <m at de-minimis.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Now, I'll have to go and find another reason why my build is breaking
>> further down the road... :(  Do IA64'ers have much of a success rate?
>
> The LFS book is only tested on x86.  It's quite possible that a
> non-multilib 64 bit install could work using only slightly modified
> instructions, but you'd have to ask around.  The Cross-LFS book caters

Thanks.  I'd hoped that just by changing the asm- to asm-ia64 everything
would work out neatly but not so.  I haven't yet found the other
dependencies.

> to many more architectures, so you may want to try there.  The
> learning curve is a bit steeper because you cross compile your
> temporary system, but it's been pretty well tested at this point.
> Here's the links:
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/cross-lfs/
> http://trac.cross-lfs.org/

Cross compile.  I had hoped that that wouldn't be necessary! :-) .

I will have a poke around some IA64 installation disks tomorrow and see if
any build from source.  If I have a look to see how they do it it should
help here.